German driving laws – fines for speeding, drunk driving, parking violations etc.

Von, letzte Aktualisierung am: 21. September 2021

German traffic laws for foreigners

german traffic laws for foreigners
German traffic laws for foreigners

Regarding the question, whether Germans are considerate or rather reckless drivers, everyone will have a different answer after a visit to Germany. That is not surprising considering there are 43 million registered cars in Germany after all. And there are a variety of differences between their drivers. Therefore, the “German driving style” can hardly be evaluated, because there is no such thing as “a German driver”.

According to a recent survey conducted by an insurance company, 96% of all German drivers consider themselves as “very good” or at least “quite good” drivers. Admittedly, the number of traffic deaths is declining every year, but nevertheless, the proportion of traffic deaths in other countries like the UK or the Netherlands is still smaller than in Germany. In spite of that, you can give credit to the Germans that only a sixth of the 43 million car drivers has got so called Punkte in Flensburg (points in Flensburg).

The Flensburger Konto (account in Flensburg) generally records, if someone committed traffic violations like speeding. The bigger the hazard caused by the misbehaviour, the more points will be recorded on the account. If a traffic offender has gathered 8 points, he or she must hand in the driving licence permanently.

FAQ: German driving laws

Is my driving licence valid in Germany?

Usually foreign licences are valid in Germany. Depending on how long someone is staying, different laws apply. Please check here for more information.

Is there a speed limit valid in Germany?

Yes, in communities the general speed limit is 50 km/h. Information about other speed limits and about fines for violations of those can be found here.

Will drunk driving be punished in Germany?

Yes, drunk driving is a traffic violation and from a certain point onwards will be seen as a criminal offence. The general limit is 0,5 ‰ and 0,0 ‰ for drivers under 21 or with a new licence. Check here for more informtion.

The points also apply to foreigners

Points for foreigners
Points for foreigners

Under German law, foreigners travelling through Germany are able to collect points in Flensburg as well, if they commit a violation according to the schedule of fines. The rules regarding the points apply to foreigners just like they do to natives. Additional to the points, there are further penalties which can be imposed on foreigners.

  • For instance, a fine which is sent as a penalty notice to foreign countries as well. If the recipient does not pay the fine, it will also result in enforcement proceedings – at least in the EU.
  • Furthermore, car drivers who committed certain violations like running a red light may be punished with a temporary driving ban which usually lasts for one to three months.

The German schedule of fines is a unified compilation of all German traffic violations and fines according to German driving laws. It also states which additional penalties are imposed on offenders. The schedule of fines defines if the violation entails a driving ban and how long this ban will last. It also determines if points are being recorded and how many.

Furthermore, the German law states that criminal offences like drunk driving can already result in the revocation of the driver’s licence – even if the offender has not gathered 8 points on the account in Flensburg yet. A so called MPU is one of the steps to regain the driver’s permit. It is short for Medizinisch-Psychologische Untersuchung (medical-psychological examination) and requires a report which must attest the offender a more careful driving style in the future. It is often not that easy to receive one. As long as this report is not issued, the offender cannot drive a car in Germany with his or her previous driver’s licence.

In this instance, the traffic offender can lose his or her driving permit abroad as well. The EUCARIS (European Car and Driving Licence Information System) has the data of holders of a driver’s licence from many European countries and provides authorities abroad with it. Thus a driving ban can be enforced there. A general statement if this will happen in other countries is not possible though.

If it happens, there is the possibility that only the violatioin against the regulation of “carrying a driving licence” is punished abroad as sometimes the criminal offence “driving without a driving licence” does not exist in this country.

Revocation of a foreign driving permit

German driving laws allow for two different kinds of driving bans. In the case of a temporary driving ban, the driver’s licence will be revoked as a penalty for a period of up to three months. Afterwards, the holder reacquires it from the authorities. This procedure is also legitimate with a foreign driver’s permit. The ban is usually marked on the concerned licence.

Even if someone is in Germany for just a short time – as a tourist for example – and is punished with a driving ban, the traffic offender cannot unmake it by leaving Germany. The temporary ban prohibits driving in Germany for the defined period of time. If an offender drives during the ban, her or she can be charged with driving without a licence upon re-entry into Germany. This is a criminal offence by German law which is punished with a fine or even a prison sentence of up to one year.

A permanent driving ban for the holder of a foreign driver’s licence is regulated by section 69b in the StGB (German criminal code). It states that the preliminary permission to operate a vehicle in Germany with a foreign driving permit is revoked with the driving ban. Furthermore, it is not possible to get a German driving licence within a retention period set by the authorities.

If the offender is from an EU country, his or her seized driver’s permit will be sent to the appropriate authority in their home country. In some cases, it might even be sent to the home address of the offender. If not, the ban will be noted on the licence itself – the licence then will not be valid anymore in Germany.

Again, if someone drives a car in spite of that, he or she commits a criminal offence. This driving without a licence will not be treated as a traffic violation according to the schedule of fines, but as an offence as per German law. This also means the case will be taken to court. Legal consequences differ from country to country, if you drive without a licence outside of Germany.

Do I need a German driving licence?

Information about the German driving licence
Infomatione about the German driving licence

Someone who is staying in Germany for extended periods of time and is driving a car here, may want to get a German driving licence. According to German driving laws, this is not necessary if the stay is a short one! The foreign driver’s licence is valid in Germany in the first few months, especially if you are from an EU country. You should check the age limits or time restrictions for the different kinds of licences in Germany. A driver’s licence class C1 and C1E for example needs to be renewed every five years.

Drivers from one of the member states of the EU or a contractual state of the European Economy Area (EEA) will have less problems having their foreign driver’s permit validated in Germany. A translation of the driver’s permit into German is not necessary in these cases. A driver’s licence acquired and issued in such a country will still be valid, if the holder registers a new place of residence in Germany as per German law.

But heads up: the termination date of the driving permit remains valid! Possibly, you have to request an extension with the German authorities. Since the processing will take some time, you should contact the authorities opportunely. You will receive the German documents together with the extension of your driver’s licence, provided that your registered residence is in Germany and you spend at least 185 days a year there.

Driving permits from non-EU countries

So a driver’s licence which was issued within the EU is usually applicable in Germany without any problems. If you have a foreign driver’s permit, though, which was not issued in a EU country nor an EEA country, we strongly advise you to get professional consulting at your local admissions office. According to German driving laws, your current driver’s licence will be valid for the first six months when you have registered a German residency. After that time it will expire. You will have to apply for a German driving licence in due time.

The regulations for acquiring the German driving licence depend on the country the original driver’s licence was issued in. You can find out the regulations for your country at your local driving licence office. Provided that you are not staying longer than a year in Germany, you can get a special permit; thereby you do not have to get a new licence. This special permit must be recorded in your documents; otherwise you might get into trouble at a traffic check.

Speed limits in Germany

Speeding fines in Germany should not be  underestimated.
Speeding fines in Germany should not be underestimated.

Germany has a speed limit of 50 km/h within built-up areas and 100 km/h outside built-up areas – like most European countries. On the other hand, there is no speed limit on the German Autobahn (motorways) – just a recommended speed of 130 km/h. Car drivers are required to drive according to the weather conditions, though. For instance, ice and snow can make it necessary for drivers to drive slower. Consistently, there are heated discussions on establishing a speed limit on the German Autobahn as well. Up to now, this is not the case though.

However, there are traffic signs indicating a speed limit on many street sections and on the motorways as well. Drivers who are speeding in Germany may be caught by a speed trap. The driver must be recognizable on the photo which can be automatically taken by the radar trap. In Germany it is the driver that is liable, which lies in contrast to other countries. Therefore, the registered keeper of the vehicle does not always receive the penalty notice, but it must be undoubtedly clarified on the basis of the photographic evidence that the suspected person was in fact driving.

The following table contains some fines for speeding violations against German driving laws along with the related point and shows if a driving ban is imposed.

German speeding fines

Out of townFinePointsDriving ban
…1 - 10 km/h€ 20
…11 - 15 km/h€ 40
…16 - 20 km/h€ 60
…21 - 25 km/h€ 701
…26 - 30 km/h€ 8011 month
…31 - 40 km/h€ 12011 month
…41 - 50 km/h€ 16021 month
…51 - 60 km/h€ 24021 month
…61 - 70 km/h€ 44022 months
> 70 km/h€ 60023 months

In townFinePointsDriving ban
…1 - 10 km/h€ 30
…11 - 15 km/h€ 50
…16 - 20 km/h€ 70
…21 - 25 km/h€ 8011 month
…26 - 30 km/h€ 10011 month
…31 - 40 km/h€ 16021 month
…41 - 50 km/h€ 20021 month
…51 - 60 km/h€ 28022 months
…61 - 70 km/h€ 48023 months
> 70 km/h€ 68023 months

How fines changed due to the new StVO:

Speeding out of townFine: old → newPointsDriving ban
up to 10 km/h€ 10 → € 20--
11-15 km/h€ 20 → € 40--
16-20 km/h€ 30 → € 60--
21-25 km/h€ 70 → € 701-
26-30 km/h€ 80 → € 801new: 1 month
31-40 km/h€ 120 → € 1201new: 1 month
Speeding in townFine: old → newPointsDriving ban
up to 10 km/h€ 15 → € 30--
11-15 km/h€ 25 → € 50--
16-20 km/h€ 35 → € 70--
21-25 km/h€ 80 → € 80 1new: 1 month
26-30 km/h€ 100 → € 1001new: 1 month

Parking violations

Parking violations
Parking violations

Many tourists do not know the regulations when it comes to parking in Germany. That is not surprising, since there are a lot of rules to follow: it is stated in the StVO (German driving laws) that it is forbidden to park 5 m in front of crossovers or side roads (8 m if there is a cycle path). Lowered kerbs are also off-limits. Moreover, drivers are supposed to park in a space-saving way and must not park in front of a driveway, bus stop signs or on manhole covers. Overall, parking is not allowed in a lot of places pursuant to German driving laws. If these regulations are violated, the driver will get a parking ticket. Parking is permitted at places with a blue traffic sign with a white “P” on it. Sometimes you will have to get a pay-and-display-ticket first, though.

German Parking FinesFinesPointsDriving ban
Parking at unclear road locations, sharp bends, on pedestrian crossings, 5m before / 10m after traffic lights€ 35
with obstruction€ 55
over 1 hour€ 55
over 1 hour with obstruction€ 55
Parking on foot- or bicycle paths€ 55
with obstruction€ 701
over 1 hour€ 701
over 1 hour with obstruction€ 801
over 1 hour with danger€ 801
over 1 hour with accident€ 1001
Parking on a confined space + obstruction to rescue vehicles€ 1001
Parking in front of or in fire service access road€ 551
obstructs emergency vehicles€ 1001
Parked on restricted areas in second row€ 55
with obstruction€ 801
with danger€ 901
with accident€ 1101
over 15 minutes€ 851
over 15 minutes with obstruction€ 901
Exceeding the parking time by up to 30 minutes€ 20
Up to 1 hour€ 25
Up to 2 hours€ 30
Up to 3 hours€ 35
Over 3 hours€ 40
Parking on a disabled parking spot€ 55
Parking on pedestrian areas or other prohibited zones€ 55
with obstruction€ 70
over 3 hours€ 70
Parking in the travel area of rail vehicles€ 55
with obstruction€ 701
Parking in places where stopping is prohibited€ 25
with obstruction€ 40
over 1 hour€ 40
over 1 hour with obstruction€ 50
Parking on special lanes and at bus stops€ 55
with obstruction€ 70
with danger€ 80
with accident€ 100
over 3 hours€ 70
over 3 hours with obstruction€ 80
over 3 hours with danger€ 100
over 3 hours with accident€ 100
Unpermissable parking on parking spots for E-Vehicles€ 55
Unpermissable parking on parking spots for Carsharing-Vehicles€ 55
German Stopping FinesFinePointsDriving ban
Stopping in narrow or unclear places, on sharp bends, on acceleration or deceleration strips, within five metres of pedestrian crossings, at taxi stands, up to ten metres in front of traffic lights, and where prohibited by markings, traffic lights and road signs€ 20
… with an obstruction€ 35
Stopping in the second row€ 55
… with an obstruction€ 701
… with danger€ 801
… with accident€ 1001
Stopping on bicycle lanes€ 55
… with an obstruction€ 701
… with danger€ 801
… with accident€ 1001
Unpermissable stopping on a bus lane or at bus stops€ 55
… with an obstruction€ 70
… with danger€ 80
… with accident€ 100

Safety regulations in the car

It is advisable to equip your car according to the safety regulations before driving in Germany. It can be inspected at a traffic check, if you have

  • a reflective vest
  • a first aid kid
  • a warning triangle

in your car. This equipment is obligatory in Germany just like in most EU countries. Furthermore, the condition of the tyres is sometimes checked as well. The minimum tread depth in Germany is 1.6 mm as per German law; it also is mandatory to have winter tyres, if the weather conditions dictate it.

There is a seatbelt requirement in Germany, too: all passengers must wear a seatbelt while driving. By the way, this also applies to coaches!

Passengers of full age are punished with a fine of € 30, if they do not wear a seatbelt in a moving car. In accordance with German driving laws children smaller than 150 cm have to be double secured: with a seatbelt and a children’s, baby or booster seat. As soon as one of the obligatory safety measures is violated, a fine of € 30 is inflicted. If a child is detected with no safety device whatsoever, the driver will have to pay a fine of € 60 and will get a point in Flensburg. If several children are not secured at all, the fine will increase to € 70.

Drunk driving and drug driving

drunk driving
Drunk driving

It is undisputable that the consumption of drugs and alcohol limits the ability to respond. Therefore, the risk to get into a car accident increases enormously. This way, you not only endanger yourself, but also others on the road.

The German alcohol laws and drug laws are very strict, thus the punishment for drunk driving or for driving under the influence of drugs is particularly harsh. The fines go from € 500 to € 1500. Additionally, long driving bans are imposed and multiple points are recorded.

A driver who is caught with 1.1 mg/ml or higher commits a criminal offence and is taken to court. A car driver who is at least 21 years old and has his or her driver’s licence for at least 2 years has a legal alcohol limit of 0.5 mg/ml. There is no traffic violation existent up to this limit, as long as the driving style is not suspicious or endangers others. Adolescents under 21 have a legal limit of 0.0 mg/ml: they are not allowed to drink any alcohol, if they want to operate a vehicle afterwards. The same is valid for new drivers, who have had their licence for less than two years.

The use of marijuana is also prohibited by law in Germany. Therefore, drug driving can not only result in prosecution, but a driving ban as well.

Fines for cyclists and pedestrians

Most of the violations mentioned in the schedule of fines refer to drivers of power-driven vehicles. Pursuant to German driving laws, pedestrians and drivers of non-motorised vehicles can receive a penalty notice as well, though. Cyclists whose bike is not equipped with the proper lighting have to pay a fine of up to € 25. Pedestrians have to pay a warning fine of € 5, if they cross against the red light. Cyclists get a point and a fine of € 60 for this violation. Helmets are not mandatory for cyclists in Germany. By the way, a ride with the bike with over 1.6 mg/ml or a suspicious driving style with at least 0.3 mg/ml can already lead to a criminal charge! Additionally, the offender gets 3 points.

German driving laws are mostly only slightly different to the regulations in other countries. All these sets of rules, like the StVO, are intended for the same thing: increase traffic safety so most accidents can be prevented. Car drivers who are on the road in Germany can do little wrong, when they stick to the prescribed guidelines in section 1 of the StVO: All road and transport users are urged to be considerate of others and drive carefully at all times. Everyone who takes these principles to heart will have no problems while driving in Germany or elsewhere.

Konnten wir Ihnen weiterhelfen? Dann bewerten Sie uns bitte:
1 Stern2 Sterne3 Sterne4 Sterne5 Sterne (77 Bewertungen, Durchschnitt: 4,30 von 5)
German driving laws – fines for speeding, drunk driving, parking violations etc.
Diese Themen könnten Sie auch interessieren:
1.081 Kommentare

Neuen Kommentar verfassen

  1. Familio sagt:


    Thank you for the excellent article. I have recently got my driving license in Germany and I guess caught by radar twice (not sure as I have not received nay letter yet)). I read from your website that in probation period if you make A type mistake twice (Speeding more than 20 km) you can be eliminated from driving license? Did I understand correctly? The other question is when the second A type mistake starts ? It should be after you receive the first Letter or does not matter if you make both speeding on the same day?

    Many thanks in advance,

    • sagt:


      indee, you can get a driving ban if you commit one A type mistake or two B type mistakes. Plus, your probation period gets extended for another twe years.

      The editorial staff of

      • Familio sagt:

        Thank you. The other question is: Foreigners(from non EU) who converts their driving license in Germany -do they also get probation period?

        • sagt:


          there is a probation period if you got your license less than two years ago.

          The editorial staff of

  2. Armend sagt:


    Yesterday I was pulled over in German highway for texting while driving. They fined €85. I did not have any euros with me just dollars. The police officer then fined $100. My question is: is that legal? Can a police officer take foreign currency?

    Thank you,


    • sagt:

      Hi Armend,

      since you violated the traffic laws you were obliged to pay. Police officers are allowed to take foreign currency if there is no other way. And the conversion rate from Euro to Dollar seems correct.

      The staff of

  3. Eddy sagt:

    hello there!
    I got question about driving a 7.5 truck and 3.5 van. if I passing Germany from France to Poland what is a charges for road usage in Germany and where I can pay for it? as I am planning to do a trip and do not know what and where…. many thanks in advance.

    • sagt:

      Hi Eddy,

      to take part in the so called “Mautsystem” in Germany you can use the website of the enterprise Toll Collect. There you can book your route and pay the bill, too.

      The staff of

  4. Collin sagt:

    I have been advised that my german friend received a photo radar ticket for 151 km/h in a 100km/h, while I was driving his car. He wants to send them my address in Ontario Canada. I will pay the fine of 290 euro. I understand I get a driving suspension for Germany.

    My questions are:

    1. Does Germany report these infractions to Ontario?

    2. Do I have to submit my Ontario Drivers Licence to Germany to begin the German driving suspension period? Or does the suspension automatically start at the time I pay the fine? I do not plan to be in Germany in the next year, but when I return I do not want to get in trouble for driving if my suspension period has not begun nor finished.

    3. Does the German driving suspension suspend my driving privileges in other EU countries or Canada or USA?

    Thank you for your information!

    • sagt:

      Hi Collin,

      try to talk to the authorities in your home country. They can tell you if the foreign suspension period will affect you in Ontario. It is very likely that it will also take effect there. Without your license you won’t be able to drive in other EU countries, either.

      The staff of

      • Collin sagt:

        Do I have to submit my actual Driving License to German Police to start the suspension clock ticking?

        • sagt:

          Hello Collin,

          it is also possible to let them make a mark on your license, stating that you can’t drive for the nexte month.

          The editorial staff of

  5. Matthias w. sagt:


    I was over-speeding in the month of April. I got the letter from the authorities and I have paid 160 euros as fine(Bußgeld) and sent my driving license through post to the authorities 8th August. The confiscation period is 1 month.

    My questions:
    They will send me back my driver’s license on 9th Sept. Do they send it by post or any other means?
    If by post, is it einschreiben mit rückschein? I want to know this because I’ll be on business trip and will not be available to collect it in person. Can you please let me know, if I should be available to receive the post with driver’s licence?

    Thanks alot in advance.

    Matthias w.

    • sagt:

      Hello Matthias,

      your license will be send back per post, it ist likely that you will get it a few days before the driving ban ends – your are however not allowed to drive with it, until the period is over. Normally, it is sent back as a normal “Einschreiben”.

      The editorial staff of

  6. Ludo sagt:

    I recently received a letter from police due to too close driving 16meters instead of mentioned 52 meters at 125 kph. I was not aware that it was a law traffic offense and cannot find it even on your website ?????
    I had to pay around 200 Euros which I paid straight and now they informed me that I have to give my driving license for a month. I found it quiet strange as nowhere on road it is mentioned the proper distance to keep at a precise speed ???
    Could you please give some tips on the subject as I have never heard that it is a driving law offense in EU?
    Do you know if the video can be seen to see the offense?
    FYI I am French citizen working in Germany and also paying tax in Germany too but not speaking a word in German language so I found funny and not fair that in the letter from the police it is mentioned that arguments can be only written in German language ???? Do you know if the English can be used instead?

    Thanks for your advises

    • sagt:


      indeed, it is a general law in Germany that you have to keep a safe distance to other vehicles, because of the breaking distance. The right distance can be roughly determined as “half of the speed indicator”. at 125 kph the distance should be around 65 meters. It is true that arguments can only be written in Germany.

      The editorial staff of

  7. Vernon sagt:

    We live in the US and during our vacation in Germany in July we acquired a speeding ticket total amount Euro 98.50. What is the simplest way to pay a ticket quoted in Euros. We have the Bank information, but I am worried about the fluctuation of the dollar vs Euro and the bank has their charges for dealing in a foreign currency.
    Your advise in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

    • sagt:

      Hello Vernon,

      it might be best to ask your bank for help in this matter, so that you can send the exact right amount the the german authorities.

      The editorial staff of

  8. Adrian G. sagt:

    Hello there!

    Very informative and helpful article, thank you. It is mentioned above that if a red jumping light fine is not paid then you will have to pay it next time you come to germany. Do you mean this will be demanded of me at the borders or what? How will they know I owe them a fine when I enter Germany?

    I jumped a red because I was last one In a row of cars heading out of town for a ceremony and would have got lost if not jumped that red. On a british licence, driving a german plate car registered to my sister in law.
    Do you think writing a letter to explain the facts could help? I also read somewhere that there used to be the case where if for exampleshe was to say.. i don’t know who was driving at the time, no further action was to happen. Could that be true?

    Many thanks

    • sagt:


      mostly, this rule – having to pay the fine if you re-enter – applies to foreign drivers outside of the EU, as their entry is officially documented. However, your fine wil still be in the system. If the policie controlled your car for example, they would see a notice about the outstanding fine.

      The editorial staff of

  9. Anders sagt:

    I was caught driving 101km/h on a 70km/h-road by a camera. I’m from Sweden. I have received and paid the fine.
    1.Are there any risks of loosing my licence?
    2.If so, also in Sweden?

    • sagt:

      Hello Anders,

      if you already payed the fine, there is no risk of a driving ban, which would apply only in Germany.

      The editorial staff of

  10. Johan sagt:

    What is the penalty for riding a motorcycle without a license for motorcycle?
    I have on my license the entitlement but it says 79 (3) at the end.

    I’m not sure if this is a mistake.


    • sagt:

      Hi Johan,

      driving without a driver’s license is a serious crime in Germany. Usually the offender just has to pay a hefty fine, but a one-year imprisonment is also possible.

      The staff of

  11. Byron sagt:


    I got a fine during a stay in germany (wasn’t me driving) and the date that I had to pay the fine is now passed because I had other things to do and not having internet didn’t help.

    How do I proceed ?


    • sagt:

      Hello Byron,

      this could be a matter when you return to Germany as the fine can be collected then. You can also contact the authorities, which issued the fine and ask how to proceed. There should be a way to contact them stated on the fining notice.

      The fine might also be enforceable in your home country. It’s advisable to check with your local authorities if this is a possibility.

      The editors of

      • Alex sagt:

        If i have a American driver license from florida..
        I living in Germany Since 09-15 last year, a few weaks ago my friend he told me i have to change my driver license to Germany i just start change it ..they told me i have to pass a thioratic exams.i fall firest time and i have to repiet it again..i still driving my car today i had a accedint and i bumped one of the traffic signs in the street..the police came and made a reports fot this accedint,and they told me i have to go to a court becouse i am not allowed to drive in germany with my driver what the penalty for this situation

        • sagt:

          Hi Alex,

          you will probably have to pay a big fine for your violation (a one-year-imprisonment is possible, too, but rarely used in such a case). Just wait for the official letter, then you will know exactly what to expect.

          The staff of

  12. Rick sagt:

    In April I was flashed entering Dessau when driving a rental car, probably doing 56-57 km/h where the limit had dropped to 50. A few months later Avis sent me an invoice for “administration costs”, with the fining agency being listed as the “Oberbuergermeister.” I received no invoice from the German authorities. A few months later, I received another invoice from Avis for “administration costs,” this time from the “Zentralbussgeldstelle.” This was for the exact same time (to the minute) as the first fine. I have still received no fine notice from German authorities.

    Was this two separate fines by different government entities, or was the Zentralbussgeldstelle notice merely an effort to collect the first fine? If Avis had provided them with driver information the first time, why would they go back to Avis a second time? Or did Avis bill me twice for administration costs, but made no effort to provide the info to the government?

    • sagt:

      Hello Rick,

      it seems that this just one fine. If ou haben’t paid the first fine the “Zentralbussgeldstelle” send a reminder to Avis and you have to pay the bill.

      the editorial staff of

  13. Kelley sagt:

    I have an old license plate from the USA – can I put it on the front of my vehicle, just for vanity? The car is registered and insured in Germany but I can’t find a law about having a front plate, let alone and expired USA plate. Help?

    • sagt:

      Hello Kelley,

      the expired plate shouldn’t you pit in th front just for banity. maybe it can be way more irritating for the police.

      the editorial staff of

  14. Buk sagt:


    I am a US citizen and resident who visited Germany this past July. I drove a rental car and I received a speeding ticket of 108 kmh in a 70 kmh area of Blankenheim-Freilingen, L115, FR Ahrutte des PKW. I received the letter from Kreis Euskirchen today 9/6/16 and the letter is dated 8/31/16. The letter is completely in German and I am having a hard time translating. I am unsure of the applicable fine, as the letter does not seem to indicate. From what I gathered, I can log into the online service and plead guilty or not guilty. I’d like to better understand what I am pleading to and what the attached fine is before I decide to do that. My questions are as follows:

    1) Is Blankenheim-Freilingen in or out of town?
    2) What are my options to fight or reduce the ticket from abroad?
    3) What are the ramifications of not paying the fine?
    4) How long do I have before I must respond?

    I likely will look to pay the fine but I may want an opportunity to dispute, as I do not believe I was going the accused speed. Thank you for your help.

    • sagt:

      Hello Buk,

      as the speed limit was 70 km/h, Blankenheim-Freilingen must be out of town. 38 km/h more than allowed mean you have to pay 120 euros and receive one point in Flensburg. Usually the German authorities are not allowed to make you pay for it, as you live in the US, but there could be consequences if you come back to Germany one day. We would recommend you to contact a lawyer relating to your second question, as we are not allowed to give legal advice.

      The editorial staff of

  15. Nandita sagt:

    My Husband got a one month driving ban in Frankfurt and we are unsure where we need to give his license in.
    Do we just go into our local police station or do we need to go to the ordnungsamt on kleyerstrasse?

    • sagt:

      Hello Nandita,
      you have to check the letter your husband reveived when they told him about the driving ban. Usually the correct adress is mentioned in it.

      The editorial staff of

  16. Tom sagt:

    I have 1 point on the German side for doing 31km/h over. I just received another one for doing 71km/h over. The listed fine on here says it should be around 600 Euros plus a 3 m driving ban. The letter I received says that I will have the driving ban for 3 m and a fine of 1,680 Euros. does that seem right? that is more than double the price listed on here.


    • sagt:

      Hello Tom,

      the higher fine might be a result of you being caught twice during a certain time span with more than 26 km/h over the speed limit. The authorites can deem that as a repeat offence and therefore attach a higher fine. Additionally to that, there are adminsitration charges included.

      The editorial staff of

  17. Twister sagt:


    Upon returning from a trip to Germany where I was driving a friend´s non-German car she received a speeding ticket. 103kmh in 80kmh zone, 70EUR.

    There was no speed limit sign and no radar sign, and I thought I was inside the speed limit.

    – Is it worth for me to dispute it because of inadequate signage?
    – Can it be enforced somehow if she does not provide my details? I have a UK licence.
    – As I cannot be clearly identified in the photo, does this mean that the penalty cannot be enforced?


    • sagt:

      Hello Twister,

      in your case we recommend to contact a lawyer. beacause we cant’t give you a legal advice.

      the editorial stuff of

  18. Veronica sagt:

    Hello team,

    I have just received a notice that my car has been driven 22km/h over (82 instead of 60) outside of town. This happened over 2 months ago, the picture is blurry and I can’t remember if it was my sister or myself driving on that occasion. What am I to do?

    I appreciate your time and expertise.

    • sagt:

      Hello Veronica,

      first you should get the hearing forms. there you should write if you or your sister was the driver. after this you have to pay the fine.

      the editorial stuff of

  19. Ahmad sagt:

    i was in hamburg last month, and i didnt see the speed limit.
    and i got paper here at home sweden i live in sweden.
    that says:
    Ihnen wird vorgeworfen, am 0 um o7:57 Uhr in Lübeck B75 KM 8,7 Rtg avemünde, als Führer des PKw MBF 272 folgende Verkehrsordnungswidrigkeit(en) nach s 24 StvG begangen zu haben: Sie überschritten die zulässige Höchstgeschwindigkeit außerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften um 21 km/h. Zulassige Geschwindigkeit 60 km/h. Festgestellte Geschwindigkeit (nach Toleranzabzug): 81 km/h 41 Abs 1 ivm Anlage 2, 49 Stvo. S 24 StvG: 11.34 BKat

    in the back of paper i saw 1000€
    i really dnt know if i have to pay that huge amount.
    please give information as soon as you can.

    • sagt:

      Hello Ahmad,

      there is no fine about 1.000 Euro. For 21 km/h too fast you will have to pay 70 Euros and you will get one point in Flensburg. That’s all.

      The editorial staff of

  20. Cristiana sagt:

    Hello, my partner and I were recently flashed in Germany and I received a “Zeugenfragebogen” (with his photo, since he was driving) exceeding 24 km/h out of town (we were driving at 94 km/h in an area of 70 km/h). Should I identify him on the letter they sent me as the driver or, as being my partner, am I entitled not to provide his details? In that case, what does it happen? What is the best option for me? And, in any case, how much should be the fine and will they get any points (he holds a Portuguese driver’s licence)? Thanks a lot!

    • sagt:

      Hello Cristiana,
      24 km/h faster than allowed mean your partner has to pay 70 euros and gets one point in Flensburg. Usually the authorities can’t force you to provide his details. If you want information about your options, please contact a lawyer. We are not allowed to give legal advice.

      The editorial staff of

  21. Richard sagt:

    I was wondering where I could find laws about whats leagal to have on your roof (like roof racks, led bars, and so on).
    Im taking a trip to germany next month, and Im going to decorate my car for halloween. In norway its legal, as long as its secured properly. how would this be in germany?
    Thank you

    • sagt:

      Hello Richard,

      Germany has very strict rules when it comes to changing the look of a car with led bars and stuff like that. If it isn’t approved by the responsible authority (the TÜV) you can get into trouble with such decorations (often you have to pay a fine).

      The staff of

  22. Cristiana sagt:

    We were recently flashed in Germany with a Luxembourgish car plate and Portuguese driving license. As the owner of the car, I received the “Zeugenfragebogen” (with photo) to identify the driver, which was, at that time, my partner. We were driving at 94 km/h in a zone of 70 km/h (24 km/h). As far as I understood, I am entitled not to provide the police my partner’s details, right? If so, what are the consequences? And, would it be better to identify him? Finally, for this kind of transgression, how much would the fine be and would they get any points? Thanks a lot in advance!

    • sagt:

      Hello Christiana,

      you’re right. You don’t have to blame your partner in the Zeugenfragebogen – but you definitely have to fill it out and send it back to the authority. And if you don’t provide many details in the letter it is possible that the police will show up at your doorstep and asks some questions. In this case you have to answer truthfully or you are guilty of a false testimony. A lawyer specialised in traffic law can help you with your decisions.

      The fine and the points depend on the location of your offence – for driving 24 km/ too fast out of town you can expect a fine of 70 Euro and 1 Point in Flensburg.

      The staff of

  23. Sid sagt:


    I have a question regarding a strange situation i was in today, i am was today driving under probation (1yr 10months), i was caught overspeeding by 9kph in the city by a speed camera, before getting caught on camera i was distracted because my 1 year old daughter who was in kindersitz started crying too much after drinking milk and was taken out of the seat by her mom for some mins to see if she has some real problem. I know i should have immediately stopped but it all happened real quick. Though i am not sure if the back seat is also caught in camera?? also what could be the consequence? Can getting caught on speeding cameras still result in child restraint violation fines??

    • sagt:

      Hello Sid,

      in this case you’ll have to wait for the letter detailling your fine. It might be possible that the speeding trap did catch the entirety of the car and therefore you could be facing an additional fine for an unsecured child, which is up to 60 Euros. The letter for the speeding ticket should also include any other violations.

      The editorial staff of

  24. Bar sagt:


    I recently got my driving license. I was travelling in a hired car and had an incident. There was long queue in the Autobahn and the GPS suggested a diversion via a rural road. At one point the GPS mentioned a right U-turn and it led to a pedestrian way (approx. 30m long). I entered this path by mistake and crossed this 30 m and landed back to the car road. No traffic was disrupted and no one was endangered.
    i) What fine can I expect?
    ii) Should I report this to any authority?
    iii) How long it takes to receive any notice?

    Many thanks,

    • sagt:

      Hello Bar,

      inb the case you were reported to the authorities, the letter concerning the fine should be delivered to you within the next three months. The fine for entering and driving in a prohibited area is 10 Euros. If it wasn’t reported there shouldn’t be any fine to be expected.

      The editorial staff of

  25. Rid sagt:

    While taking a right turn on the road inside the city, I entered the wrong lane by mistake. I travelled may be 10 metres and I turned around after noticing oncoming vehicles. How much is the fine for this and when will I receive it? I am a German resident with a new driving license.

    • sagt:

      Hello Rid,

      driving in the wrong lane and into the wrong direction is a crimninal offense. You’ll have to expect a monetary fine that will be determined by the degree of intention you had while driving. There can also be a prision sentence if you endangered others. You’ll also have to expect a fine of up to three months of a suspended driving licence.
      In the case you were detected by the police, you’ll have to expect the official letter within the next three months.

      The editorial staff of

  26. John sagt:

    Interesting. Just goes to emphasise how heavily we are penalised in Victoria Australia.
    At 15-20 kph over the limit we are fined 205 euros and incur three points (out of 12). In Germany you are fined 70 euros and incur 0 points (out of 8).
    At 25-30 kph over the limit we are fined 282 euros and incur four points (out of 12). In Germany you are fined 80 euros and incur 1 points (out of 8).

  27. Mike sagt:

    Hello All,

    The other day my neighboor approached and sad that yesterday I had blocked a car of her son and he could have not gone to work. She said that she had called authorities and sent them the pictures.

    Evidently authorities have not come on her call , since there was no ticket on my car.

    For my side I am sure that the driver of the other “blocked” car could have driven out , since there was enough space. One had to use his adriving skills , but it was possible to drive out (I did check this before leaving my car)..

    Could anyone let me know what i shoudl expect now?
    Many thanks

    • sagt:

      Hello Mike,
      in this situation we would recommend you to wait if there will be any letter of the authorities. In this letter they will tell you what to expect. If you don’t receive anything from the authorities, there will be no consequences.

      The editorial staff of

  28. Derek sagt:

    Hello! I received a speeding ticket in the amount of 20 Euro when driving in Germany this past April. I just paid it via wire transfer last week (the car rental agency took a while to get it to me). I live in the United States and will likely return to Germany and want to make sure it is not still outstanding. Do you have any ideas on how I can get a confirmation/receipt that my ticket has been paid? Thanks!

    • sagt:

      Hello Derek,
      usually you can find the name of the authority and a phone number/e-mail adress on the ticket you received. Probably this authority can confirm the transfer.

      The editorial staff of

  29. Naveel sagt:


    I was caught by the camera due to around 12 km/hr over speeding. I did not receive any ticket yet but I am also in probation period means my license is 1 year old. Is there any extra penalty in probation period or will it be a normal fine ?

    • sagt:

      Hello Naveel,
      it will be a normal fine. Extra penalties start with 21 km/h overspeeding if you are in probation period.

      The editorial staff of

  30. jaweria sagt:


    Today I was caught by a camera within the city (Ulm). I was driving arround 62 to 65 Km/hr instead of 50 km/hr. I am under probation period. What will be the penalty for this ? Will it be some extra penalty other then regular fine ?

    • sagt:

      Hello Jaweria,
      it will be a regular fine of 25 euros. You have to expect extra penalties when you drive 21 km/h faster than allowed in probation period.

      The editorial staff of

  31. Antje sagt:


    • sagt:

      Hello Antje,

      EU driving licences have certain characteristics whith which they can be identified. Police officers are taught to look for those and to check whether the licence is valid. Since we cannot provide any legal advice, you can only clear that with the officer during a check.

      The editorial staff of

  32. Amira sagt:

    Hi, I got a question, we were in Germany and we rented a car with a uk licence, my husband was the main driver and added me as a second driver, I was driving the car in the motorway and it was extremely confusing as there were no speed limits signs, I suddenly saw a flashed and I realised I have been caught! I was driving at 115 km and later I saw a sign of 100 km as maximum, could you please tell me if I would get a fine/ points send to me in the uk? Would that affect my uk driving licence?
    Many thanks

    • sagt:

      Hello Amira,

      the fine you can expect should be about 20 Euros. There should be no points or any kind of driving ban.

      As you were driving a rental, the fine will most likely be send to the rental company. The company then will probably ask you to pay the fine. The fine itself has no consequence for your UK driver’s licence or your ability to drive in the UK.

      The editorial staff of

  33. Ram sagt:


    I got a speeding ticket for exceeding over 33Km/h in 50km/h Zone. However, this happened as i passed through green Signal and got flashed. Can I Appeal against this?

    • sagt:

      Hello Ram,

      since we are not allowed to offer legal advice, you should contact a lawyer who can provide you with infomatione concerning an appeal.

      The editorial staff of

      • Ram sagt:

        Thanks for your Response. I understand that aspect you cannot provide legal advice, my query is if I can mention to authorities the reason behind why I should not be fined as I had crossed in green Signal and as a result it is registered as overspeeding?

        • sagt:

          Hello Ram,

          you can mention it, but if there is a fine for overspeeding and you drove over the speedlimit, then you have to pay it.

          the editorial staff of

  34. Nikhil sagt:


    I’m from India in Germany for 6 months and have a valid driving license (DL) in India for motor bike and car, but the license is hand written (old fashion way) with few corrections to add the car DL along with the motor bike DL. First, is hand written DL’s accepted in Germany and second is correction on DL accepted.

    Thanks in advance.


    • sagt:

      Hello Nikhil,

      if it is an authorized driving license it should be accepted. But to be sure you should go to the “Führerschein-Zulassungstelle” and ask the staff.

      the editorial staff of

  35. Lim sagt:

    I learn that getting driving license in Germany is difficult. How or where can I get driving theory written in English ? I dont understand german and will be moving there next year. Thank you.

    • sagt:

      Hi Lim,

      some driving schools in Germany offer driving and theory-lessons also in english. Even the theory test can be taken in different languages.

      The editorial team of

  36. Sue sagt:

    Hi Dear Officer,

    My question is where should I report a traffic violation that happened in EU?

    I visited Germany and a few other countries during the time between June 22, 2016 and July 03, 2016. I was with a Chinese touring company called “Caissa Touristic Group”. It provided transportation and accommodation for me.

    I knew the working hours of a tour bus are very strict. (Every Bus has a memory sticker that keep the driving record for 10 months, right?) However, the tour guide called “Cheng Wang” led the driver violated the traffic law. He operated the tour bus more 12 hours for at least 2 days during a week. I knew this was serious. After a few considerations, I determined to report it because it really threatened the safety of us as passengers. What’s worse, the tour guide was bragging that it won’t get caught.

    We got 19 people in the traveling group, excluding the tour guide and the driver. Unfortunately, none of us speaks German and I’m the only one can English. The rest of them are senior (60+) and they only speak Chinese.

    At that time, I didn’t write the license plate of the Bus. But I checked it with Viking Line – a ship company. We took the ship from Stockholm to Helsinki. They got the license plate number is 3 SB 3334. (If you need to verify the information, I can provide the ship ticket to you so that you can call the ship company for the accurate information.)

    Can you please direct me to the related department in Germany or EU so that I can report the violation? I have a strong feeling that the tour guide is going to keep doing this because he thinks it’s impossible to get caught. Note that more and more senior Chinese visitors visit Europe in the recent years. They neither speak German nor English. They might even not be conscious that’s a violate to the law. Because of lacking knowledge, they heavily rely on tour guides. I hope no one will get hurt during their traveling in EU. I hope after I send out the report, the touring company will get the fine that will stop their wrongful behavior. Operating tour bus overtime is really inappropriate. Thank you.

    Look forward to your reply.

    • sagt:

      Hello Sue,

      to report traffic vioaltions you can contact any police station Germany. They will redirect it to the responsible department. If you know in which county or city this occured you can report it there directly. The contact information are available on the internet.

      The editorial staff of

  37. Gaurav K. sagt:

    Today one car overtook me fast from my right side and the camera flashed. I am afraid that I am filmed too!! Is German cameras able to distinguish in this case or a person investigate the pictures before sending a fine?

    • sagt:

      Hello Gauvrav,

      most of the time it takes just a picture of the person who was driving too fast.

      the editorial staff of

  38. Chris sagt:

    I am from Canada and several months ago I rented a vehicle from Sixt in Germany.

    Upon driving the vehicle for a few days, I noticed that a crack in the base of the windshield (which I did not notice upon initial inspection due to it’s location under the windshield wiper blade) began to spread, making it more visible. I am not a mechanic and I don’t feel I should have been expected to start moving or removing components to check for damages on initial inspection. I emailed Sixt customer service to report the damage because I didn’t want to be held responsible. I also felt that the vehicle would be unsafe since the integrity of the windshield was compromised. Sixt never responded to me during my rental period so that I could be offered a safer vehicle. Months later, they are now claiming that I was the one who damaged the vehicle and are billing me for 450 euros.

    From my understanding, in Germany a cracked windshield would not pass their vehicle safety inspection. Would you know if there is a regulating body for vehicle safety, or rental fleet safety that I might be able to contact to complain? It seems that their staff does not take safety seriously and they provide customers with damaged vehicles in order to collect money later on.

    Thank you

    • sagt:

      Hello Chris,

      sorry to hear about your troubles. There is no official regulating body concerning rented cars, but it is possible for you to hand in a complaint to the local “Ordnungsamt” (public order office) or even the police.
      Since we are not allowed to provide legal assitance, we would recommend contacting a lawyer who is well versed in Germany law and who can help you with the matter.

      The editorial staff of

      • Jay sagt:

        Hi. I have a quite complicated case and I want to know whether some one can answer me.

        Scenario 01:
        I was driving with my NON EU driving licence for 6 months legally and then I converted to German driving licence. Which means I did my theory and practical exam again in germany.

        Question 01: Since I’m not a new licence holder, do I have a probation period for 2 years or not ?

        Scenario 02:
        The road speed limit is 50km/h. There was a FIXED camera. Due to road work there is a temporary speed limit of 30km/h for a short distance.

        I got camera flashed while driving in 68km/h in the night time when there is no road work.

        Question 02: Does this means my excess speeding limit is 18km/h or 38km/h
        That means does this camera will be set to 30 or 50 ?

        • sagt:

          Hello Jay,

          the porbation periode only matters if you had your non-EU liscence less than two years. Then the rest of the probation time would be served after the conversion.

          Concerning the speed violation incident, we cannot say which speed limit the camera was set to. In this case you’ll have to wait for the letter which states the fine. Usually stationary cameras are set to the ‘usual’ speed limit, but it is possible that it was changed.

          The editorial staff of

  39. Dinesh sagt:


    I was caught driving with my Indian Driving license by the police. They have told me that i am supposed to drive car in Germany with my Indian Driving license only for the first 6 months and not more than that. What will be the consequences i will face now?
    Thank you in advance for your answer

    • sagt:

      Hello Dinesh,

      this could be a criminal offence called “driving without a license”, which is in Germany regulated in § 21 StVG. The consequences could be a money fine or a term.

      The editorial team of

  40. Keld sagt:

    I found a ticket in the frontwindow of my car, when I had parked it in Berlin. The ticket is signed “Die bussgeldstelle” and says that I can pay a “Verwarmungsgeld” with in 8 days and mentions a bank account. The problem is, that it does not tell me what I did wrong and it doesn’t tell me how much I have to pay.
    What should I do?
    I didn’t park illegally, but I didn’t have the “enviromental badge”.

    • Alex sagt:

      hello,i just found at my windshield yesterday a penalty 141322 i don t know what this is can anyone tell me what this is and what should i do with it not to have any problems? my car is registered in Romania and does not have any sticker …this is what i could find out with google translate that it is related with the pollution sticker, will i receive a penalty at home…

      • Lorraine sagt:

        We received a parking ticket in Frankfurt. The code is 141621. We had a valid parking meter receipt visible on the windscreen so are very confused. It also does not indicate how much should be paid or where any enquires can be made. Can you help?

        • sagt:

          Hello Lorraine,

          you didn’t receive a parking ticket. You got fined because your car hadn’t got an environmental badge. This costs 80 Euro.

          The editorial staff of

      • sagt:

        Hello Alex,

        this penalty means, that you perked, where parking ist not allowed. The fine should amount to 15 Euro.

        The editorial staff of

    • sagt:

      Hi Keld,

      contact the responsible authorities as fast as possible. They can tell you how much you have to pay. And if you pay quickly there will be no further consequences.

      The staff of

  41. Aridal sagt:

    In the case of a large Drink Driving fine, how does one apply for the possibility to pay in installments.

    Or is it already too late to do this once you have received the letter with the “Überweisung” Bank form?

    • sagt:

      Hello Aridal,

      it should be possible to apply for this payment. But in the case it is not, please contact the competent authorities for that. the telephone number is on the fine.

      the editorial staff of

  42. James sagt:

    Received from the town of Lübeck a letter regarding Anhörung im Bußgeldverfahren. It states that the rental car not driven by me, but rented by me, exceeded the speed limit by 24km/h which is true. It also states that the “Zustellung des Bescheides durch die Post ist nicht zulässig”. Since I live in the US and don’t have anyone else in Germany there is a listing of another person with a German address that is recommended to receive the ticket. However I am not keen to go that route.

    Since the entire correspondence is in German and I am guessing or using Google translate I am considering just sending back the letter I have with just the information regarding the “Angaben zur Sache” like not the owner and driver. Since I do not visit Germany that often what is the time when this has lapsed or the statute of limitations for this offense? Since the speeding happened in Lübeck will any further repercussions apply to all of Germany or even other EU countries?

    I really appreciate your help and assistance and value the service you offer.

    • sagt:

      Hi James,

      you’re doing the right thing. Just fill out your personal data and the “Angaben zur Sache” and send it back. But it is possible that you will get a letter once more. Since you state that you weren’t the driver at the time of the crime the police will try to find out who was. So you will probably get a “Zeugenfragebogen” (“Zeuge” means “witness”) in which you will be requested to make a statement regarding the possible driver. But you have the right to refuse to give evidence. When this letter arrives, again, just fill in the personal data and send it back, if you are not willing to blame somebody. The repercussions only apply to Germany, not to other countries.

      The editorial staff of

  43. Salman sagt:

    Today while on the inner city road, a car tried to push me to slow down so that he could overtake and get a head of me into my lane, to which I did not slow down because I was driving perfectly fine, whereas he was speeding up and acting impatient, later when his lane ended he got behind my car and honked for like 2 minutes, to which I didn’t respond, finally when he got to cross me, he showed me the middle finger…
    Is there a way I could report this bad behavior ?
    What actions can the police take against him ?

    • sagt:

      Hi Salman,

      you can easily denounce him for coercion, this is against the law. Just report the case to the police and they will prosecute him.

      The editorial staff of

  44. Carly sagt:


    We are planning on coming to Cologne on 9th December by car and we are wondering how the winter tyre rule works? If we do not have winter tyres will we get a fine or is it only if we are the cause of an obstruction or an accident? Is this only for wintery conditions or is it a certain time period?
    Would we only What would the fine be and would any points incurred be detrimental to a UK driving licence?

    Thank you

    • sagt:

      Hi Carly,

      the “winter tyre rule” in Germany depends on the weather. Only when there are winterly weather conditions as snow, ice, mud or similar things you have to use winter tyres. Else you are allowed to use summer tyres in winter. Driving without winter tyres in winterly weather will cause a fine of 60 Euro and 1 point. As far as we know the points only affect your driver’s license within Germany. But one point doesn’t limit your possibilities.

      The editorial staff of

  45. Simon sagt:

    Hey Bussgeldkatalog,

    I recently saw a red flash while driving on a city road in Munich. Is this typical of a speed camera/other monitoring device?
    I was probably driving (unintentionally) with around 70 km/h (or 80 max) on a limit of 50. I am driving with a US (Georgia) license and re-entered Germany last month after a short stay home, but I’ve had an address registration ever since starting grad school here back in 2014. However, my understanding is that one can drive with a foreign (US in the case) license for 6 month after entering the country. And thus, should I expect trouble or not?

    Many thanks for the help!

    • sagt:

      Hi Simon,

      indeed – it sounds like you have been clocked by a speed camera. It is true that you can drive with your license for 6 months. But you will still be ordered to pay a speeding fine. A fine between 35 and 100 Euro is possible in the scenario you have described.

      The editorial staff of

  46. Patrick sagt:

    I have received a form saying I was speeding 76km in 50 Zone. The form is all in German and wants me to complete.

    Can I get a English version of this form. And Can I dispute the speed. I just came out of the airport and it looked like a major road and not something I should be doing 50km on.

    What will be the fine for this also ? 100 Euro ?

    • sagt:

      Hello Patrick,

      in theory the fine should be translated. You should go to a loyer. Maybe you can fight it. The Dokument you got gives you the chance to explain the situation but you arn’t foced to fill something in. Just check your datas. If they are correct you can send it back. The fine would be between 80 and 100 Euro and you will get one point.

      The editorial staff of

  47. Alex sagt:


    I did the road from Frankfurt to Stuggart.

    I think I have followed all the limit (80, 100, 120, 130) but I drove 160-170kmh on the no limit section.

    What’s happen if a camera spot me when I was slowing down (from 160 to 130 let’s say).

    Also, what’s happen if it happens multiple time during the day?

    I am from Ontario Canada.

    Let me know


    • sagt:

      Hello Alex,

      it depends on the Situation. There could be a fine for every violation of the speed limit. But if the authority thinks that this violations were in concomitance with the others the fine could be different.

      The editorial staff of

  48. John P. sagt:

    I drive my car in Germany with Greek plates, i.e. car registered in Greece. For how long can I do so? I intent to stay in Germany long time. Do I have to apply for German car license/plates?
    My impression is that because EU rules apply, I can use the Greek plates for as long as I want.
    Notably, the car is fully insured in Greece, with a valid “Green card” for driving abroad, within EU.

    • sagt:

      Hallo John P.,

      if your regular residence is in Germany, you are allowed to use the car with a Greek registration for up to one year in Germany before you have to registered it here. If you travel back and forth during the year, the car usually can stay registered in Greece. The car has to be registerd at regular location of the car.

      The editorial staff of

  49. Hussain sagt:

    Can you please tell me what kind of traffic violations result in extension of the probation period?
    Moreover, If i get a speeding ticket of €20 euros (without points), will my probation period be prolonged to another 2 years?

    many thanks

    • sagt:

      Hello Hussain,
      there are many traffic violations that result in an extension of the probation period, for example if you drive 21 or more km/h too fast or if you cross a red light. A speeding ticket of 20 euros has no influence on your probation period.

      The editorial staff of

  50. Xu sagt:

    I’m pretty sure I just got blitzed. I think I was going between 30 and 40 over. There was a car in front of me a bit and I only saw one flash. I think it was for me. I have one point right now. Several questions.

    The other point is about a year old. Will that still drop off in a year or does this reset the clock one that?
    Is it two or two and a half years for points to drop off?
    Am I certain to get a month driving ban?
    Is there an extra penalty you can pay in lieu of the ban and if so, how much?
    Is there any leeway on the speed registered by a few kph?

    Also, did I read that correctly that if you reach eight points that you lose your license forever?

    Not really a question but I find driving here frustrating and punitive. I drove in America for forty years with a spotless record. Funny, we think of the Autobahn and driving fast but most German driving is mind-numbingly slow. The road didn’t change in any discernible way but the limit lowered.

    It’s technically in the city but it’s through fields and the like and has very little traffic. I seriously hate driving here. Another thing is that they don’t have reduced speed ahead signs and the signs are too small to read very far off.

    In America, I enjoyed driving. Here, it is a chore.

    Oh, one other thing, this was a mobile blitzer right where the limit lowered from 130 to 100, is there any taking into account slow down time or am I expected to jamb on my brakes at the sign as I see many people do?

    • sagt:

      Hello Xu,
      one point in Flensburg falls under the statute of limitations after two and a half years. New points don’t stop that progress. If you were driving 30 or 40 km/h too fast, you usually don’t get a driving ban. If you get a ban (meaning you were 41 km/h too fast), you will definitely need a lawyer to pay an extra penalty in lieu of the ban, but this is only possible under special conditions. If you reach eight points you don’t lose your licence forever, after some time you have the possibility to apply for a new one. We would recommend you to contact a lawyer and see if he can help you.

      The editorial staff of

Verfassen Sie einen neuen Kommentar

Nach oben
Bußgeldkatalog als PDF
Der aktualisierte Newsletter 2021 vom VFR Verlag zum Download und Ausdrucken.
Jetzt kostenlos per E-Mail anfordern:
Mit dem Absenden akzeptieren Sie unsere Datenschutzerklärung.